This critical role will be responsible for the oversight of the In Vivo Ophthalmology group and for helping to advance UNITY’s therapeutic pipeline. The successful candidate will have prior management experience in a drug discovery environment and will work closely with a diverse group of scientists/RAs to implement strategies, execute studies and establish new disease models to evaluate promising drug candidates. This position requires an in-depth knowledge and hands-on experience with sound principles of pharmacology, including establishing PK/PD relationships, utilizing exploratory biomarkers and relating mouse model phenotypes to human disease. This exciting opportunity to lead a team of scientists in the exploration of new biology and novel therapeutic approaches will require efficient cross-functional collaboration and great communication skills. Prior experience in ophthalmology is a plus, but not required for this role.
- Manage a team of six researchers (Scientist to RA) to design and execute key decision-driving studies for UNITY’s ophthalmology projects as well as for projects in other disease areas
- Assume accountability for generating high quality in vivo pharmacology data – PK/PD, efficacy, biomarkers
- Identify efficiencies for internal work flows and oversee CROs conducting studies in support of project objectives
- Maintain a culture of collaboration and high scientific rigor
- Effectively motivate, mentor and develop research staff