Performs a variety of shipping and receiving tasks. Verifies materials received are as ordered and routes incoming items to appropriate departments/locations. Prepares items for shipment ensuring cost effective courier services.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares shipments for postal or commercial conveyance; determines most economical and efficient shipping method; selects appropriate shipping container; packs items to ensure safe delivery.
- Confirms and communicates statuses of end-user order deliveries in a professional manner, while also being the point of contact for any issues such as damaged shipments, missing items, etc.
- Prepares bills of lading; checks items to be shipped against work orders to ascertain that quantities, destination, and routing are correct.
- Receives and unloads incoming materials and compares information on packing slip with purchase order to verify accuracy of shipment; may process return shipments from customers.
- Sorts, counts, packages, labels, insures, unpacks, and/or logs inventory which is shipped or received.
- Inspects shipments for damages or defects; records discrepancies or damages and notifies supervisor and/or purchasing personnel.
- Traces lost shipments and/or customer claims of lost shipments; initiates proof of delivery documents.
- Follows established departmental policies, procedures, and objectives
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
- Moderate physical activity. Requires handling of average-weight objects up to 25 pounds or standing and/or walking for more than four (4) hours per day.
- Work environment involves minimal exposure to physical risks, such as working with chemicals.
- Work may involve moderate exposure to unusual elements, such as unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises.